Tuesday 11 June 2013

Tyranny of the Decisive Moment

I recently interviewed the photographer Malcolm Glover for the Hastings Online Times (otherwise known as HOT).
I've known Malcolm for years and have always been a huge admirer of his work, the way he stitches together multiple images to create one seamless image of a place, as well as a place in time. I call it stretching time, but he has a more poetic term, Sculpting Time.
I asked Malcolm about his transition from photojournalism to his 'sculpted' imagery.
"After almost twenty years, I had had enough of the Decisive Moment looking over my shoulder every time I tried to get an image. Always looking for that elusive moment became fascistic, and I began to feel that it really was a tyrannical approach to taking photos."
Gasp! Horror! Sacrilege! How can anyone possibly defame the name of the great Cartier-Bresson? How indeed -- and good for you Malcolm!
I have to admit that I'm still in love with the quest for the DM (the image, not the shoes), but it did put a grain of doubt in my mindset and has made me to see
things just a little bit differently when I look through the viewfinder.
Thank you Malcolm!
Please have a read of the full interview:
Malcolm Glover interview in HOT

No comments:

Post a Comment