Monday 17 June 2013

Akram Khan’s DESH



Sometimes when I see a piece of work or art that deeply moves me, I’m left with my mouth agape, unable to find any words to convey the overwhelming sense of awe.
One of those times was when I first saw Guernica at the Museo del Prado in Madrid. Another was when I saw the Taj Mahal at sunrise
And Saturday night I experienced this feeling again when I saw Akram Khan’s magnificent Desh. His dancing, as always, was a combination of extreme physicality, seamlessly merged with a delicacy, grace and humour. Especially amazing for a dancer who severely tore his Achilles tendon in 2011.
But what made Desh overwhelmingly powerful was the lighting, set design and animation. At one point, Khan danced behind a transparent screen, upon which were projected images of an entire jungle, including elephants and birds, and while in the jungle, he actually ‘climbed’ up one of the hanging branches, the lighting so exquisite that for a moment I believed he was actually climbing up this projection of light.
If you don’t know about Akram Kahn, please have a look at Akram Khan Company You’re surely in for a treat!
As a photographer, it was an inspiration on how lighting can be used to take strong imagery into the realms of greatness.
I’ve never photographed Akram Khan – now that would be a dream assignment! – but I have been very privileged to work with the CandoCo Dance Company. CandoCo was started in 1991 by Celeste Dandeker and Adam Benjamin and grew into becoming the first UK professional dance company focused on the integration of disabled and non-disabled dancers.
CandoCo Dance Company
This photo is of Sue Smith and David Toole performing You Are Now Entering The State of Love in 1996.
David most recently performed at the London Paralympic Opening Ceremony. 
Inspiring, to say the very least.

No comments:

Post a Comment