Monday 6 May 2013

The Art of Opportunities


Last Saturday morning I was listening to Radio 4's Saturday Live. Well, sort of half listening as one does, while making tea and trying to wake up.
But when I heard the name Evelyn Glennie mentioned, I really did wake up and listen.
An amazing musician, an amazing person, by all accounts.
She is one of the world's leading solo percussionists, (if not THE only full-time solo percussionist) which is especially remarkable as she is almost totally deaf. She experiences sound as a kind of touching or vibration.
She talked about the huge challenges she has faced in her musical career and  said,
"I've learned how to develop the art of creating your own opportunities"
A thought worth holding onto when it feels like the creative juices just aren't flowing.
Several years ago I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to photography Evelyn Glennie. Her intense concentration, dedication and passion to her music was -- and I'm sure still is -- inspirational.

No comments:

Post a Comment